General Terms and Conditions
1. Unless otherwise specified herein, deliveries shall be made in approximately equal monthly quantities, except that Seller reserves the right to limit monthly deliveries to the pro-rated estimated or minimum quantity provided for in this contract. Any time or date stated for delivery is an estimate only and the Seller shall not be liable for failure to deliver at the specified time or on the specified date, nor shall such failure on the part of the Seller be deemed to be a breach of the contract or any of its terms and conditions or part thereof. Unless otherwise specified herein, delivery of Product to the carrier at the point of shipping shall constitute delivery to the Buyer; and all risk of loss or damage in transit shall be borne by the Buyer. Buyer hereby represents and warrants that it is entering into this Contract solely for the purchase of Product for use in further manufacturing, and Buyer understands and agrees that it will not resell any Product to any third party other than to its own corporate affiliates for use by them in further manufacturing.
2. Each shipment shall constitute a separate and independent transaction and Seller may recover for each such shipment without reference to any other. If Buyer is in default with respect to any terms or conditions of this contract, then, in addition to any other legal remedy available to Seller, Seller may, at its option, defer further shipments hereunder until such default be remedied (in which event Seller may elect to extend the contract period for a time equal to that for which shipments were so deferred), or, Seller may decline further performance of this contract. If, in the judgment of Seller, the financial responsibility of Buyer shall at any time become impaired, then, in addition to any other remedy available to Seller, Seller may decline to make further deliveries under this contract except upon receipt, before shipment, of payment in cash or satisfactory security for such payment.
3. In case of a dispute concerning the weight of Product delivered in bulk carload or tank car shipments, shipper's weight, certified to by sworn Weigh-master, shall govern absent manifest error.
4. Determination of the suitability of the Product supplied hereunder for the uses and applications contemplated by Buyer and others shall be the sole responsibility of Buyer. All warranties by Seller pertaining to the Product are expressed in this paragraph. Seller warrants that the Product delivered hereunder meets Sellers’ standard quality on the date of production, or such other specifications attached hereto. SELLER MAKES NO OTHER EXPRESS WARRANTIES; THERE ARE NO IMPLIED WARRANTIES INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. BUYER ASSUMES ALL RISK AND LIABILITY FOR ALL LOSS, DAMAGE OR INJURY TO PERSON OR PROPERTY, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION POLLUTION, ENVIRONMENTAL DAMAGE AND RESTORATION LIABILITY, RESULTING FROM (I) THE USE OF SAID PRODUCT IN MANUFACTURING PROCESSES OR IN COMBINATION WITH OTHER SUBSTANCES, OR OTHERWISE (II) THE HANDLING AND DISPOSAL OF THE PRODUCT.
5. No claim of any kind, whether as to Product delivered or for non-delivery of Product, and whether arising in tort, contract or otherwise shall be greater in amount than the purchase price of the Product in respect of which such damages are claimed; and the failure to give written notice of claim within thirty (30) days from date of delivery, or the date fixed for delivery, as the case may be, shall constitute a waiver by Buyer of all claims in respect of such Product. IN NO EVENT SHALL SELLER BE LIABLE FOR SPECIAL, INDIRECT OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF ANY KIND INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION BUYER'S MANUFACTURING COSTS, LOST PROFITS OR GOOD WILL, REGARDLESS OF THE FORM OR BASIS OF ANY ACTION.
6. All returnable containers used in making deliveries hereunder are Seller's property and shall be used by Buyer only for proper storage of Seller's Product originally delivered therein. Buyer shall make a deposit as security for the return of such containers, equal to Seller's current deposit charge therefor at the time of shipment. Such deposit shall be paid, without discount, when the invoice for the contents is paid. Buyer shall return such containers to Seller's shipping point within two months from the date of original shipment, whereupon Buyer shall be credited with the amount of the deposit. If Buyer fails to return the containers in good condition and within the time specified, Seller may refuse to accept the same and may retain said deposit in addition to any other rights and remedies available to Seller. In addition, Buyer shall reimburse Seller for all reasonable costs and expenses incurred by Seller in providing any communication and emergency response system services in connection with Product sold hereunder, except to the extent that such services are required due to Seller’s breach of this Contract or negligence.
7. Buyer shall reimburse Seller for all taxes, increases in or new taxes, excises or other charges which Seller may be required to pay to any governmental authority (national, state, provincial or local) upon, or measured by, the sale, production, transportation or use of any Product sold hereunder. Seller may at its option add to the price of Product sold hereunder the amount of any increase in transportation charges for shipments to Buyer, provided that such transportation charges are payable by Seller hereunder. Credit terms are subject to change at any time by Seller in its sole discretion. The representations and agreements of Buyer in any application for credit from Seller are hereby incorporated by reference. Unless otherwise agreed to by Buyer in such credit application, interest on all sums past due from Buyer hereunder shall accrue and be payable by Buyer at the lesser of the maximum lawful rate and the prime interest rate quoted by Citibank, N.A., New York, New York, plus 2%.
8. Neither party shall be liable for its failure to perform hereunder if said performance is made impracticable due to any circumstances beyond the reasonable control of the party affected, including but not limited to, acts of God, acts of terrorism, fires, floods, wars, sabotage, accidents, labor disputes or shortages, plant shutdown, equipment failure, voluntary or involuntary compliance with any law, order, rule or regulation of government agency or authority, or inability to obtain material (including power and fuel), equipment or transportation. The affected party may omit purchases or deliveries during the period of continuance of such circumstances and the contract quantity shall be reduced by the quantities so omitted. During any period when Seller shall be unable to supply the total demands for any Product provided for in this contract, whether caused by the circumstances specified above or otherwise, Seller may allocate any available Product among all buyers including its own divisions and departments, on such basis as it may deem fair and practical.
9. This contract constitutes the entire agreement between the parties concerning the subject matter hereof and there are no understandings, representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, not expressly set forth herein. No modification of this contract shall be of any force or effect unless such modification is in writing and signed by the party to be bound thereby; and no modification shall be effected by the acknowledgment or acceptance of purchase order forms containing terms or conditions at variance with those set forth herein.
10. This contract shall be binding upon and inure to the benefit of the respective successors and assigns of each of the parties hereto, but shall not be assigned by Buyer without the prior written consent of Seller.
11. Seller's waiver of any breach, or failure to enforce any of the terms and conditions of this contract, at any time, shall not in any way affect, limit or waive Seller's right thereafter to enforce and compel strict compliance with every term and condition hereof. The acceptance by the Seller of any payment after the specified due date shall not constitute a waiver of the Buyer's obligation to make further payments on the specified dates.
12. The Buyer and Seller agree that this contract shall be deemed to have been made and executed in the State of Colorado and that any dispute arising under this contract shall be resolved in accordance with the laws of the State of Colorado excluding any choice of law principles thereof. The parties disclaim the applicability of the United Nations Convention for the International Sale of Goods.
These General Conditions of Sales are also available in several languages on the Cook Chemical website.